Tuesday 15 January 2008

DEFINING ABNORMALITY

The definition of abnormality has changed over time and it is difficult to agree on one definition for it. There are 4 definitions we learnt about in the lesson today and these definitions are not mutually exclusive. The fact that there are so many ways to define abnormality shows the complexity of identifying and diagnosing abnormal behaviour.

I found the role plays today very useful in helping me remember each definition. First there was the 'fatty' who stuffed her face while everyone else ate sensibly, this was a deviation from social norms. What is the danger of using this to define abnormality?
Secondly, there was deviation from ideal mental health. So we had the boy who blamed his imaginary friend Clarence the dragon for being unable to solve the Rubik's cube.
Then there was the person who could not make tea or toast or even answer a simple question for that matter - failure to function adequately. Finally statistical infrequency such as midgets...and I am not referring to Jasmine!
Which do you think is the best definition?

3 comments:

Ms H Moore said...

Hello Mrs Davies
Welcome to Cavvy Psych. It's great to have you on board as a contributer.

Come on Psychology students, add your messages of welcome.

Ms Moore

cheekymonkey said...

Mrs Davies... I am doing a power point for our homework but I just realised that i have the new microsoft office 2007. Do you have the new version on your computer or will I have to re-do it at school?

cheekymonkey said...

Don't worry I think I have sorted it!